Thursday, December 9, 2010

Not by Beer Alone - Boswell Pipes

Man can not live on beer alone, try as we may.  There are few things that compliment a fine beer better than a good smoke.  A quality briar pipe will give you years of smoking pleasure for what you would spend on two or three cases of craft beer.

I have a collection of more than a dozen pipes from a variety of carvers; Savinelli, Peterson and Nording to name a few.  I've even tried my hand at caring a couple myself with enjoyable results.  But my favorite pipes are made in Chambersburg, Pa by J.M. Boswell & Son.  To say that they are the best pipes in the world would likely be an understatement.  Buying a Boswell pipe is like "coming home".  It's not just that they are locally produced, smoke great and are one of a kind, but Jim Boswell is possibly the nicest person you will ever meet, definitely the nicest person who you'll ever have carve you a pipe.
My first trip to Boswell's was in the spring of 2009.  I was greeted by Jim's son, Dan, and offered a cup of coffee and told to pack a bowl of any of their custom blend tobaccos; I chose their Northwoods blend.  Several trips and four pipes later I have to say I'm hooked.  I doubt that I will ever buy a pipe from anyone else.