Tuesday, March 30, 2010

Carboy Etching

How much liquid is in your carboy?  Sure the 5-gallon or 6-gallon level, depending on the size bottle you have, is pretty easy to hit, but what if I want to mix up a half batch of Star-San and need exactly 2.5 gallons?
 
Marker won't say, tape will peel off the first time I have to wash and a wooden measuring stick isn't sanitary and requires me to open the carboy.  The solution to these problems is glass etching!  I purchased a Deluxe Glass Etching kit from etchworld.com for $21.95 that I used, along with a bunch of masking tape to label my carboy with 1/2 gallon increments.  The etchworld kit contained lots of items that I didn't need, like flower stencils, a pair of gloves, a small paint bush and razor blade.  The item that I did use from the kit was the Armor Etch chemical.

Just tape off the area that you don't want etched by the Armor Etch chemical and paint a thick coat that will sit for a little more than a minute.  Wash with warm water and remove the tape.